Media Cage Policy & Procedures
return to Media Information
Please read the following explanation of rules and policy regarding checkout of equipment from the cage area.
- All students must present a valid USF ID card in order to check out equipment, keys, or otherwise utilize Cage services.
- All students must fill out an appropriate Media cage checkout
form to be kept on file. All Media Cage paperwork must be filled out and
returned to the cage by the third Thursday of each semester. The
specific day will be posted on the cage bulletin board outside of FAH
289. If students do not have their forms on file by this date, they will
not be allowed access to any equipment within the cage, any keys to any
secured area facilities, or otherwise access any Cage services.
- Equipment is not to be checked out unless the student has
already received instruction in the use of the equipment from a teacher
or lab assistant. If student is unsure of any aspect of the equipment or
its operation, they should ask their instructor or lab assistant for a
- Certain items will be available for checkout on a priority
basis to students enrolled in Intermediate or Advanced level classes.
- Equipment will only be checked out to students in good standing with the cage.
- Each time equipment is checked out, it will be logged onto the
student’s individual checkout form, which specifies: date of checkout
and date of return and all items checked out.
- Each student is fully responsible for loss or damage of
equipment while in his or her possession. If you break or lose it, you
- It is the student’s responsibility to make sure that all equipment is in proper working condition prior to leaving the cage.
- The student is never, under any circumstances, to loan the
equipment to anyone at any time. All transfer of equipment must be
handled through the cage. Only the student whose name the equipment is
checked out under will be considered responsible for the equipment until
it is returned to the cage and marked returned.
- It is the student’s responsibility to confirm the exact date
and time that the equipment will be returned. See the return policy on
the media cage main website for more information. Some specialized
pieces of equipment, such as any equipment dealing with printing and for
use in the photography labs has a one-day check out period.
PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT THE FOLLOWING PENALTIES WILL BE STRICTLY
ENFORCED IN THE EVENT OF AN INFRACTION OF THE ABOVE CHECKOUT POLICIES:
- Late return of equipment (failure to show up at the due date and time for return) will be noted on the student’s checkout form.
- Two late days will result in a two-week suspension of checkout privileges.
- A third late return of equipment will result in revocation of checkout privileges for remainder of semester.
- Late days add up! EACH SUBSEQUENT DAY THAT EQUIPMENT IS LATE
WILL BE COUNTED AS AN INDIVIDUAL LATE! I.E., if you return something
three days late, that constitutes your three late days and your
privileges will be revoked for the semester. If an emergency* arises,
and students cannot return their equipment on time, they need to inform
the cage. However, phoning in does not necessarily absolve the student
from being late! Message can be left on voice mail at 974-1566 or via
e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transfer of equipment from one student to another without
following correct cage checkout and return procedures will result in
revocation of cage privileges for the remainder of semester.
- Students are responsible for the cost of replacing or repairing
(at the discretion of the Photography Faculty) any equipment that is
lost or damaged while checked out in their names. Failure to resolve
issues regarding lost or damaged equipment will result in suspension
from the cage as well as a hold being placed on future USF registration,
grades, or graduation.
- Habitual mistreatment of, or damage to equipment while in
student’s care will result in permanent revocation of cage privileges.
PLEASE TREAT THE EQUIPMENT AS IF IT WERE YOUR OWN! IF YOU ARE UNABLE
TO ADEQUATELY SAFEGUARD THE EQUIPMENT, PLEASE DO NOT CHECK IT OUT!
THE ABOVE RULES APPLY TO ALL CAGE USERS!
*Emergencies in this case would be something serious, such as an
accident or family emergency, something that can be verified with