Undergraduate BA and BFA Requirements
In addition to the general requirements for admission to USF, a portfolio must be submitted to the School of Art and Art History by February 1 for students wishing to enter the BFA program in the fall semester, or October 15 for students wishing to enter the BFA program in spring or summer semesters. Portfolios are not required for students seeking to enter the BA program.
High school seniors may apply by October 15 of their senior year and request an early determination of acceptance. High school seniors not requesting an early determination must apply by February 1 prior to the fall semester that they anticipate starting at USF.
Acceptance into the School of Art and Art History does not constitute acceptance into the University of South Florida. You must work with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to satisfy all admission requirements for the university. See the following website for admissions information: http://usfweb2.usf.edu/admissions/
Portfolio Requirements (BFA Only)
All portfolio materials, including transcripts, are submitted electronically at https://usf.slideroom.com/
. Detailed instructions and a tutorial are available on the site to assist you in the online submission process. There is a cost of $10 to submit your portfolio. You will pay this fee electronically when you submit your portfolio.
Before you begin the process of submitting your portfolio, you will need to have available the following:
- Your USF ID Number. You must have applied to USF in order to get a student id number.
- Your scores on any standardized tests (SAT or ACT). Transfer students from a community college who have not taken standardized tests should answer “transfer student” to that question.
- A 250 word essay about your artwork. Summarize your background in studying art and connect it to the actual work in your portfolio of images. Faculty are interested in how you think and write about what you have done and how you imagine your artwork evolving over the next years of study.
- Ten images (jpg or pdf) to upload electronically to the website.
- Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. Current USF students should go to FACTS.org for unofficial transcripts. All transcripts are to be uploaded with your portfolio submission.
A faculty admissions panel will review the submissions and notify applicants of their admission status to the School of Art and Art History. The faculty panel may indicate acceptance into the program, deny acceptance or defer acceptance, based on the portfolio. Applicants cannot be Art Studio majors or enroll in any art classes without the review and acceptance indicated by the faculty panel. Decisions concerning admission status are sent to the USF Office of Undergraduate Admissions.